Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Memory


I was thinking about Thanksgiving today and a special memory overcame me.  It's not a typical Thanksgiving memory, but when it crossed my mind I was overcome with feelings of security, comfort, and thankfulness.  When I was young we traded off Thanksgiving and Christmas with The Prices; Aunt Annie, Uncle Mark, and cousins Luke and Hallie.  The years we went to their house in Bertram near Austin are my most favorite ones.  They live on a beautiful piece of property on the creek out in the country.  Everything is quiet and peaceful, and we had MANY adventures there together.  All the kids would sleep in the living room on the various couch beds.  Early in the morning, around 4 am, the sounds of three women I admire most would rouse me from my sleep.  My mom, Aunt Annie, and Gigi (my precious Grandma who passed away when I was 15) were in the kitchen beginning to prepare the Thanksgiving meal.  I could hear them discussing the menu, the pots and Pyrex clanging, how much sage to add to the stuffing, what time to put the pecan pie in the oven, should we try to be health conscious and use chicken stock instead of heavy cream in the mashed potatoes (for the record NO!!).  There was something so safe and comforting about knowing they were in there together, working to serve our family a delicious meal.  Everything was made from scratch, nothing came from a package or a box, and God forbid someone suggest using Cool Whip instead of fresh whipped cream!!!  Did they know I was listening, soaking up all their wisdom, hoping to one day be in there with them?  Could they have possibly understood that as they were buzzing around in their robes and slippers, fretting over how many eggs to use in the dressing, they were leaving a legacy for their children and grandchildren?  And so I would lay there, half asleep but not wanting to miss a single word from these three, and I'm so thankful I did because it has stayed with me to this day, my own incredibly special Thanksgiving memory.  Happy Thanksgiving!


 My mom and cousin Hallie
 The mommas (Annie and my mom) and the "legacies", Lindsy, me, Hallie, Ella, and Leslie
 One of our Thanksgiving meals prepared in that same, special kitchen
Happy Turkey Day!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You can hear the love in your words! What special memories and a wonderful post :)