Thursday, November 17, 2011

Work it Girl!

When I took Ella for her 9 month check up I raised some concerns I had about her gross motor development (she wasn't trying to crawl and wouldn't put ANY weight on her legs).  After observing her, Dr. K thought we should have her evaluated by a physical therapist.  Of course we were really concerned about her, but thankfully I have a great friend, Nicole, who's a PT herself and she gave me lots of advice and reassurance.  We went for the evaluation on November 8th and they recommended that Ella come for PT once a week.  After a few sessions her therapist Lisa observed that Ella has overdeveloped back muscles and very weak abdominals.  We always laughed about the way she did tummy time because she was like a little airplane.  Not so funny now!

So basically Lisa said Ella has learned to use her muscles incorrectly and making her do it the right way feels wrong to her.  She used golf as an example, when you learn the wrong swing, it feels right to you and when someone tries to correct you, it doesn't feel natural.  Ella gets really frustrated during her sessions but they are already helping so much!  She even got up on all fours for the first time on Tuesday night and she has been standing to play with her music table.  I'm so glad we caught it early, and I know with time and prayers she'll be all caught up!  Go Ella Boo!!!
 Reading a little magazine while we wait ;)

 working hard with Ms. Lisa


 Her favorite is the ball

2 comments:

Nicole said...

yay for ella! she looks good on that ball and I know with just a little PT boost she is going to catch up quick, and it sounds like she is already!

The Winter Family said...

Ali- I did PT for Braydon when he was 12 mo and not crawling....he walked and two days later he crawled...no lie! We always called him backwards Braydon. It worried my heart so much at the time...I know Ella will catch on as quick as B! Good luck!