Saturday, October 1, 2011

Scariest Day

Yesterday was one of the worst days of my life.  It started off a normal day and Ella, Griffin and I were getting ready to meet our friends at Monkey Joe's for some bouncy time.  Ella was sitting on a bar stool playing with something on the counter and I was right behind her holding her.  Griff was putting on his crocs and the back strap was stuck under his foot.  He kept bugging me to help him and we were in a hurry so I turned around for two seconds to fix his shoe when I heard a loud thud!  I turned around and saw my precious baby girl had fallen off the bar stool onto the tile floor on her head.  She immediately started screaming and I picked her up.  I could instantly feel a lump on the back of her head.  I went into panic mode and decided to call 911.  My sister in law has a really good friend who lost her 11 month old to a head injury almost instantly so that kept running through my head.  While on the phone with them Ella became quiet and her eyes started rolling back in her head.  This is when I lost it and started screaming for them to hurry!!!  It seemed like it took FOREVER for them to get to my house but it was probably 10 minutes.  I called Jason and he rushed home in record time.  They put Ella in the saddest little baby back and head brace and and took us by ambulance to the hospital. Once we got there they said her vitals all looked good but they wanted to do a CAT scan to be sure there wasn't a fracture or brain swelling.  Ella was so brave and we were just holding her little hands and singing to her the whole time.  We both lost it seeing her so little and scared and not being able to pick her up.  Finally the doctor came and told us the results were completely normal and that she had a hematoma but it was above the skull and would just be sore.

We are SO thankful our precious angel is ok and it was a huge reminder to me about how you can never be too safe.  It sounds so stupid, even as I type it, that I left her on a stool but it only takes a second to let your guard down.  I feel so incredibly guilty and it still brings tears to my eyes to think about it.  Jason was so sweet and supportive and Griff was a trooper.  He kept telling the paramedics, "I just need to go to Monkey Joes!" haha.  Through the whole ordeal I just kept praying for Jesus to hold Ella in His arms and protect my baby.  There's no doubt in mind that's exactly what He did and we are so greatful!
As you can see everyone is fine and enjoying lots of snuggles!

3 comments:

The Winter Family said...

oh my goodness. crying reading this. Thank God for keeping sweet girl safe. what a scare!

Michelle said...

Isn't the grace of Jesus amazing! I am so thankful that Ella is ok. I can't even imagine how scary this whole thing must have been. Hugs too all of you!

Lisa and Ryan said...

Oh my- how scary! Things like this can happen in the blink of an eye even when you are right there. I'm glad she is okay!